Position/Title: Assistant Professor
Phone: 519-824-4120 ext.54923
Office: ANNU 135
Dr. Huyben is the Assistant Professor of Aquaculture at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. He completed his PhD at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Uppsala, Sweden with a focus on yeast as a protein source and impacts on the blood physiology and gut microbiome of farmed rainbow trout and Arctic charr. Since then he pursued postdoctoral research at the University of Stirling within the Institute of Aquaculture where he investigated environmental stressors and omega-3 fatty acids requirements of farmed Atlantic salmon. He has also collaborated on aquaculture projects in Norway, Finland, France, Italy and across Canada with a range of research on fish farming technologies, aqua-feeds and pathogen control.
Since June 2020, Dr. Huyben is employed to contribute 40% to research, 40% to education and 20% to industry liaison between the Canadian/Ontario aquaculture sector and the University of Guelph. Dr. Huyben is the lead instructor for a 3rd year undergraduate course called Aquaculture: Advanced Issues (ANSC*3050) and contributes to other undergraduate and graduate courses at the Department of Animal Biosciences. His research focuses on the effects of feeding omega-3 fatty acids, single-cell proteins and probiotics on the growth, immune response and gut microbiome of salmonid fishes, especially rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon. He mentors a handful of grad students in aquaculture projects that involve nutritional and molecular skills and Dr. Huyben plans to train more HQP to become future aquaculture scientists and professionals. He routinely collaborates with feed and fish farming companies as well as government agencies, both locally, nationally and internationally.
For more info, please email me at email@example.com or click the links above to see my profiles on Google Scholar, Research Gate, LinkedIn or follow me on Twitter @DavidHuyben
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Biology, University of Guelph (2010)
- Master of Science in Aquaculture, University of Guelph (2012)
- Doctor of Science in Animal Nutrition (Aquaculture), Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (2017)
Affiliations and Partnerships
- Aquaculture Association of Canada Member
- European Aquaculture Society Member
- Swedish FRESH Fish Welfare Group Member
- Aquaculture Research Collaborative Hub UK
- Fisheries Society of the British Isles Member
- Aquaculture UK Member
- Huyben, D., Grobler, T., Matthew, C., Bou, M., Ruyter, B. and Glencross, B. (2021). Requirement for omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids by Atlantic salmon is relative to the dietary lipid level. Aquaculture, 531, 735-805. doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2020.735805
- Huyben D., Rimoldi S., Ceccotti C., Montero D., Betancor M., Iannini F., Terova G. (2020). Effect of dietary oil from Camelina sativa on the growth performance, fillet fatty acid profile and gut microbiome of gilthead Sea bream (Sparus aurata). PeerJ. doi.org/10.7717/peerj.10430
- Huyben D., Roehe B.K., Bekaert M., Ruyter B., Glencross, B. (2020). Dietary lipid:protein ratio and n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids alters the gut microbiome of Atlantic salmon under hypoxic and normoxic conditions. Front. Microbiol. doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2020.589898
- Glencross, B.D., Huyben, D. and Schrama, J.W. (2020). The application of single-cell ingredients in aquaculture feeds—a review. Fishes, 5(3), 1-22. doi.org/10.3390/fishes5030022
- Boyd, C.E., D'Abramo, L.R., Glencross, B.D., Huyben, D.C., Juarez, L.M., Lockwood, G.S., McNevin, A.A., Tacon, A.G., Teletchea, F., Tomasso Jr, J.R. and Tucker, C.S. (2020). Achieving sustainable aquaculture: Historical and current perspectives and future needs and challenges. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, 51(3), 578-633. doi.org/10.1111/jwas.12714
- Vidakovic, A., Huyben, D., Sundh, H., Nyman, A., Vielma, J., Passoth, V., Lundh, T. (2020). Growth performance, nutrient digestibility and intestinal morphology of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fed graded levels of the yeasts Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Wickerhamomyces anomalus. Aquaculture Nutrition, 26(2), 275-286.
- Huyben, D., Vidakovic, A., Sundh, H., Sundell, K., Kiessling, A., Lundh, T. (2019). Haematological and intestinal health parameters of rainbow trout are influenced by dietary live yeast and increased water temperature. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, 89, 525-536.
- Huyben, D., Vidaković, A., Hallgren, S. W., Langeland, M. (2019). High-throughput sequencing of gut microbiota in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fed larval and pre-pupae stages of black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens). Aquaculture, 500, 485-491. doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2018.10.034
- Huyben, D., Bevan, D., Stevenson, R., Zhou, H., Moccia, R. (2018). Evaluation of membrane filtration and UV irradiation to control bacterial loads in recirculation aquaculture systems. Aquaculture International, 26(6), 1531-1540. doi.org/10.1007/s10499-018-0301-z
- Huyben, D., Boqvist, S., Passoth, V., Renström, L., Bengtsson, U. A., Andréoletti, O., Vågsholm, I. (2018). Screening of intact yeasts and cell extracts to reduce Scrapie prions during biotransformation of food waste. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 60(1), 9. doi.org/10.1186/s13028-018-0363-y
- Brijs, J., Sandblom, E., Axelsson, M., Sundell, K., Sundh, H., Huyben, D., Gräns, A. (2018). The final countdown: Continuous physiological welfare evaluation of farmed fish during common aquaculture practices before and during harvest. Aquaculture, 495, 903-911.
- Huyben, D., Sun, L., Moccia, R., Kiessling, A., Dicksved, J., & Lundh, T. (2018). Dietary live yeast and increased water temperature influence the gut microbiota of rainbow trout. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 124(6), 1377-1392. doi.org/110.1111/jam.13738
- Huyben, D., Vidaković, A., Langeland, M., Nyman, A., Lundh, T., Kiessling, A. (2018). Effects of dietary yeast inclusion and acute stress on postprandial plasma free amino acid profiles of dorsal aorta-cannulated rainbow trout. Aquaculture Nutrition, 24(1), 236-246.
- Huyben, D., Nyman, A., Vidaković, A., Passoth, V., Moccia, R., Kiessling, A., Dicksved, J., Lundh, T. (2017). Effects of dietary inclusion of the yeasts S. cerevisiae and W. anomalus on gut microbiota of rainbow trout. Aquaculture, 473, 528-537.
- Nyman, A., Huyben, D., Lundh, T., Dicksved, J. (2017). Effects of microbe-and mussel-based diets on the gut microbiota in Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus). Aquaculture Reports, 5, 34-40. doi.org/10.1016/j.aqrep.2016.12.003
- Huyben, D., Vidakovic, A., Nyman, A., Langeland, M., Lundh, T., Kiessling, A. (2016). Effects of dietary yeast inclusion and acute stress on post-prandial whole blood profiles of cannulated rainbow trout. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 43(2), 421–434.