Position/Title: Industry Collaborator
I am a Geneticist with Genesus Inc, and am an industry collaborator with the Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock. My current research focuses on various aspects of swine genetics including, maternal traits and selection indexes. Previously, I was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock under the advisement of Dr. Christine Baes, where my research focused on developing novel traits and selection methods in dairy cattle.
In 2016, I completed my B.Sc. in Agriculture where I focused on Animal Sciences at the University of Guelph. My interest in dairy cattle was sparked during my bachelor’s degree, when I had the opportunity to work for Dr. Bonnie Mallard, learning about High Immune Response Technology. Upon graduation, I began my M.Sc. under the supervision of Dr. Christine Baes and Dr. Filippo Miglior where the focus of my project was to assess the effects of including feed intake and feed efficiency into a selection index for Canadian dairy cattle, which I completed in 2018. After completion of my M.Sc. I began a Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Christine Baes and Dr. Flavio Schenkel. The main focus of my work was on understanding the genomic architecture of feed efficiency and the impacts of including it in selection programs.
Selected Research Outputs:
- K. Houlahan, F.S. Schenkel, H.R. Oliveira, F. Miglior, G.A. Oliveira Jr., M.J. VandeHaar, K.A. Weigel, R.J. Tempelman, and C.F Baes. The genomic architecture of feed efficiency over the lactation of dairy cattle. Abstracts of the 12th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production. Accepted.
- K. Houlahan, F.S. Schenkel, E. Goddard, G. Kistemaker, N. Van Straaveren, M. de Pauw, R. Cerri, M.A Sirard, P, Stothard, F. Miglior and C.F. Baes. Using genetics to impact greenhouse gases. Net-Zero for New York Dairy - What you need to know. Cornell University. Virtual. 3 February 2022. Invited Speaker and Panelist.
- K. Houlahan, F.S. Schenkel, D. Hailemariam, J. Lassen, M. Kargo, J.B. Cole, E.E. Connor, S. Wegmann, G.A. Oliveira Jr, F. Miglior, A.Fleming, T.C.S. Chud, C.F. Baes Effects of Incorporating Dry Matter Intake and Residual Feed Intake into a Selection Index for Dairy Cattle Using Deterministic Modeling. Animals. 2021. 11(4):1157 https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11041157.
- G.A. Oliveira Junior, F.S. Schenkel, L. Alcantara, K. Houlahan, C. Lynch, C.F. Baes. Estimated genetic parameters for all genetically evaluated traits in Canadian Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 2021. 104:9002-9015. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2021-20227.
- L.F. Brito, H.R. Oliveira, K. Houlahan, P.A.S. Fonseca, S. Lam, A.M. Butty, D.J. Seymour, G.Vargas, T.C.S. Chud, F.F. Silva, C.F. Baes, A. Cánovas, F. Miglior, F.S. Schenkel. Genetic mechanisms underlying feed utilization and implementation of genomic selection for improved feed efficiency in dairy cattle. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 2020.100(4):587-604. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2019-0193.
- P. Martin, C.F. Baes, K. Houlahan, C.M. Richardson, J. Jamrozik, F. Miglior. Genetic correlations among selected traits in Canadian Holsteins. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 2019. 99(4):693-704. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2018-0190.