Hinayah Rojas de Oliveira
Position/Title: Postdoctoral Researcher
Office: ANNU 016A
Hinayah obtained her B.Sc. (2014), M.Sc. (2015), and Ph.D. (2018) from the Universidade Federal de Vicosa (UFV), Brazil. During her Ph.D. she had the opportunity to conduct part of her research at the University of Guelph (Canada) and University of Georgia (USA). Hinayah has experience in genetic and genomic analysis of livestock animals in general, with focus on longitudinal traits. Currently she is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Guelph, working under supervision of Dr. Flavio Schenkel.
- Honours B.Sc. in Animal Science (03/2009 – 02/2014), UFV. Advisors: Dr. Robledo Torres and Dr. Ricardo Euclydes.
- M.Sc. in Genetics and Animal Breeding (03/2014 – 07/2015), UFV. Advisor: Dr. Fabyano Silva.
- Ph.D. in Animal Science with focus on Genetics and Animal Breeding (08/2015 – 12/2018), UFV. Advisor: Dr. Fabyano Silva.
Period spent abroad:
- Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock, University of Guelph, Canada. Supervisor: Dr. Flavio Schenkel.
- Department of Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, USA. Supervisor: Dr. Daniela Lourenco.
Important Awards, Scholarships, and Fellowships
13) 2020: Best paper published in 2019, from the Brazilian Society of Animal Science
12) 2020: Best Ph.D. thesis defended in Brazil in 2018, from the Brazilian Society of Animal
11) 2020: Top cited paper award (2018-2019) – Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics
10) 2019: Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship
9) 2018: The Academic Mentorship Award, from the Department of Animal Biosciences of the University of Guelph
8) 2018: EAAP 2018 Travel Award
7) 2017: ELAP 2017 Travel Award
6) 2016: Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) scholarship, from the Government of Canada
5) 2015-2018: CAPES Fellowship
4) 2014-2015: CNPq Fellowship
3) 2014: Honorable Mention from The Agricultural Sciences Center (Universidade Federal de Vicosa, Brazil) in recognition of her excellent academical performance
2) 2011 – 2013: FAPEMIG Fellowship
1) 2011: Best conference presentation – “Study of inbreeding in dairy goats", presented at the SIA Conference, Federal University of Vicosa, Brazil (first author).
Featured Publications - First Author
14) Oliveira, H. R., S. P. Miller, L. F. Brito, F. S. Schenkel. Impact of censored or penalized data in the genetic evaluation of two longevity indicator traits using random regression models in North American Angus cattle. Animals, 03/2021; 11(3). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ani11030800
13) Oliveira, H. R., L. F. Brito, S. P. Miller, F. S. Schenkel. Using random regression models to genetically evaluate functional longevity traits in North American Angus cattle. Animals, 12/2020; 10(12). DOI: 10.3390/ani10122410.
12) Oliveira, H. R., J. C. McEwan, J. H. Jakobsen, T. Blichfeldt, T. H. E. Meuwissen, N. Pickering, S. M. Clarke, L. F. Brito, L. F. Genetic connectedness between Norwegian White Sheep and New Zealand Composite sheep populations with similar development history. Frontiers in Genetics, 04/2020; 371(11). DOI: 10.3389/fgene.2020.00371
11) Oliveira, H. R., F. S. Schenkel, C. Richardson, F. Miglior, L. F. Brito: PSVIII-19 Meta-analysis of genetic parameter estimates for feed efficiency traits in dairy cattle. Journal of Animal Science, 12/2019; 97(Supplement 3). DOI: 10.1093/jas/skz258.551
10) Oliveira, H. R., D. A. L. Lourenco, Y. Masuda, I. Misztal, S. Tsuruta, J. Jamrozik, L. F. Brito, F. F. Silva, J. Cant, F. S. Schenkel: Single-step genome-wide association for longitudinal traits of Canadian Ayrshire, Holstein, and Jersey dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 07/2019; 102(11). DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-16821
9) Oliveira, H. R., J. P. Cant, L. F. Brito, F. L. B. Feitosa, T. C. S. Chud, P. A. S. Fonseca, J. Jamrozik, F. F. Silva, D. A. L. Lourenco, F. S. Schenkel: Genome-wide association for milk production traits and somatic cell score in different lactation stages of Ayrshire, Holstein, and Jersey dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 06/2019; 102(9). DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-16451
8) Oliveira, H. R., L. F. Brito, D. A. L. Lourenco, F. F. Silva, J. Jamrozik, L. R. Schaeffer, F. F. Schenkel: Invited review: Advances and applications of random regression models: From quantitative genetics to genomics. Journal of Dairy Science, 06/2019; 102(9). DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-16265
7) Oliveira, H. R., L. F. Brito, M. Sargolzaei, F. F. Silva, J. Jamrozik, D. A. L. Lourenco, F. S. Schenkel: Impact of including information from bulls and their daughters in the training population of multiple‐step genomic evaluations in dairy cattle: A simulation study. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics, 06/2019; 136(6). DOI: 10.1111/jbg.12407
6) Oliveira, H. R., D. A. L. Lourenco, Y. Masuda, I. Misztal, S. Tsuruta, J. Jamrozik, L. F. Brito, F. F. Silva, F. S. Schenkel: Application of single-step genomic evaluation using multiple-trait random regression test-day models in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 01/2019; 102(3). DOI: 10.3168/jds.2018-15466
5) Oliveira, H. R., L. F. Brito, F. F. Silva, D. A. L. Lourenco, J. Jamrozik, F. S. Schenkel: Genomic prediction of lactation curves for milk, fat, protein, and somatic cell score in Holstein cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 11/2018; 102(1). DOI: 10.3168/jds.2018-15159
4) Oliveira, H. R., F. F. Silva, L. F. Brito, A. R. Guarini, J. Jamrozik, F. S. Schenkel: Comparing deregression methods for genomic prediction of test-day traits in dairy cattle. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics, 02/2018; 135(8). DOI:10.1111/jbg.12317
3) Oliveira, H. R., H. T. Ventura, E. V. Costa, M. A. Pereira, R. Veroneze, M. S. Duarte, O. H. G. B. D. Siqueira, F. F. Silva: Meta-Analysis of genetic-parameter estimates for reproduction, growth and carcass traits in Nellore cattle by using a random-effects model. Animal Production Science, 05/2017. DOI:10.1071/AN16712
2) Oliveira, H. R., F. F. Silva, M. V. G. B. Silva, O. H. G. B. D. Siqueira, M. A. Machado, J. C. C. Panetto, L. S. Glória, L. F. Brito: Bayesian Models combining Legendre and B-spline polynomials for genetic analysis of multiple lactations in Gyr cattle. Livestock Science, 05/2017; 201. DOI:10.1016/j.livsci.2017.05.007
1) Oliveira, H. R., F. F. Silva, O. H. G. B. D. Siqueira, N. O. Souza, V. S. Junqueira, M. D. V. Resende, R. R. A. Borquis, M. T. Rodrigues: Combining different functions to describe milk, fat, and protein yield in goats using Bayesian multiple-trait random regression models. Journal of Animal Science, 05/2016; 94(5). DOI:10.2527/jas.2015-0150
For a complete list of publications, please visit Hinayah's Research Gate.