- Instructor in ANSC*3170 Nutrition of Fish and Crustacea (W, even years), UNIV*1200 (12) First Year Seminar: Evolution of Dietary Habits (W 08), UNIV*3160 Agriculture and Food in France (W 07 & 09), and UNIV*3170: Ideas, Icons, and Institutions: Contribution of French Scientists and Institutions to Science and Culture (W 07 & 09)
- Team teaching ANSC*6480 Advanced Nutrient Utilization and Metabolism II (W, even years)
- Coordinator of the UG Paris Semester Abroad (W 07 & 09), Centre for International Programs (CIP)
- Research Interests
- Nutrient (amino acids, fatty acids, glucose, phosphorus) utilization by fish.
- Evaluation and development of feed ingredients
- Development of models of nutrient utilization by fish and production models for fish culture operations
- Socio-economical, cultural, and environmental factors influencing food production and dietary habits
- Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences (1992-1997)
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph
Advisors: C. Young Cho and James B. Kirkland
- M.Sc. in Animal Science (1991-1992)
Department of Animal Science, Université Laval, Québec, Canada
Research project carried out in Khon Kaen University, Thailand (May-December 1991)
Advisors: Joël de la Noüe and Pornchai Jaruratjamorn
- B.A.Sc. in Bio-Agronomy (1986-91)
Université Laval, Québec, Canada
Current Research Projects
- Nutrient-Flow Growth Model for Salmonid Fish
Examining the pattern of growth and nutrient deposition of rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, chinook salmon and Atlantic salmon at different sizes and water temperatures. Construction of models to estimate feed requirements and waste outputs of these species.
Collaborators: K. Hua, A. Dumas, CFM de Lange, S. Birkett (U Waterloo)
- Reducing and Monitoring Waste Outputs by Aquaculture Operations
Evaluating various feed ingredients and additives, and developing various economical feed formulae to reduce waste outputs by aquaculture operations. Monitoring characteristics and fate of waste produced by fish.
Collaborators: R.D. Moccia, F. Salazar, M. Glinka, Mark Wagner (Martin Mills, Ontario), Gordon Cole (Aqua-Cage Fisheries, Parry Sound, Ontario)
- Essential Amino Acid Utilization by Rainbow Trout and Atlantic Salmon
Examining of the effects of digestible protein and digestible energy levels, and amino acid balance on essential amino acid utilization and requirements of rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon.
Collaborators: P. Encarnacao, L. Pena, C.F.M. de Lange, G.W. Vandenberg (Université Laval), D. Hoehler (Degussa), and M. Rodehutscord (U. of Halle, Germany)
- Characterization of Glutamate Dehydrogenase Gene(s) in Salmonid Fish
Interdisplinary project looking at polymorphism of glutamate deshydrogenase gene in Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout in collaboration with the Laboratoire de génétique des poissons, INRA (France).
Collaborators: W. Bureau, M. Mambrini (INRA, France)
- Feeds and Feeding Practices for Intensive Walleye Production
Large-scale research trial on feed transition strategies for walleye reared at the OMNR White Lake Fish Culture Station.
Collaborators: M. Bartley, S. Gunther, G. Hooper (White Lake Fish Culture Station), R.D. Moccia, J. Lumsden (Ontario Veterinary College), N. Bernier (Dept. of Zoology)
- Highly Nutritive and Cost-Effective Diets for Sustainable Marine Fish Culture in China
Optimization of the composition of practical diets to minimize production costs and waste outputs of cuneate drum reared in marine cages in China.
Collaborators: Y. Wang (Shanghai Fisheries University)
- Glucose Utilization by Fish: Possible Inhibitory Effect of n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids
Project aiming to better define how the utilization and nutritive value of dietary carbohydrates for fish is affected by diet composition and level of performance.
Collaborators: M. Tapia-Salazar (UANL, Mexico), S. Panserat, G. Corraze (INRA, France)
- Construction of a Factorial Phosphorus Model for Salmonid Fish across Lifestages
Project involving the construction of a model of P utilization model by fish using literature data and, subsequently, carrying out a series of trials to generate data needed to validate and/or improve the model.
Collaborators: K. Hua, Art Niimi (Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
- Stock-Based Differences in the Sensitivity of Lake Trout to Climate Change
The objective of this project is to carry out a preliminary assessment of the degree of stock-based differences in the temperature sensitivity of early life history processes in lake trout. Collaborators: B.J. Shuter (OMNR), J. McDermid (U of Toronto), S. Gunther
- ACRDP Cage Fish Culture Project at Experimental Lake Area
Estimation of waste outputs by the experimental cage farm at the Experimental Lake Area over three production cycles.
Collaborators: P. A. Azevedo and C. Podemski (DFO)
- COA Tier 1 and Tier 2 Aquaculture Study: Characterizing Composition of Common Feeds and Solid Wastes of Rainbow Trout fed these Feeds
This multifaceted study is being conducted to examine contaminant levels and estimate digestibility of minerals in commercial rainbow trout diets in Ontario and develop recommendations for feed manufacturers for the production of feeds releasing lesser loads of copper and zinc to the environment.
Collaborators: N. Ali (Environment Canada), S. Naylor (OMAF), M. Charlton (Environment Canada)
- Vegetable Oils as Sustainable Substitutes to Fish Oil in Salmonid Diets: an Approach to Minimize Contaminants and Reduce Feed Costs
Collaborator on study examining dietary and feeding strategies to minimise potential contamination of salmonids by replacing fish oils using nutritional approaches.
Collaborators: Grant Vandenberg (Université Laval), Pierre Ayotte (CHUL-CHUQ), Janice Bailey, (Université Laval), Yvan Chouinard (Université Laval), Eric Dewailly (Université Laval)
- Novel Processes and Formulation Strategies to Improve Aquaculture Sustainability and Profitability
The use of novel processing methods and crystalline amino acid supplementation will improve the value of corn gluten for salmonid feeds. The increased use of corn gluten will result in lower cost diets and reduced nutrient loading in effluent from fish culture operations.
Collaborators: Grant W. Vandenberg (Université Laval), Gary Drimmer (Corn Products International), Dirk Hoehler (Degussa), Mark Wagner (Martin Mills) and Stephen Splinter (Radient Technologies)
- Flexible, Low Inputs, Production Strategies and Feeds for Inland and Coastal Tilapia Aquaculture in Asia
This project aims to improve the productivity of low input aquaculture systems in Asia on which resource poor farmers depend through identification of suitable feeding strategies. The project will identify sustainable feeding strategies focusing on vulnerable communities and contributes to a larger project focused on the role of aquaculture in rebuilding livelihoods in tsunami impacted coastal communities.
Collaborators: H. Leitch, A.G. Ponniah (WorldFish, Malaysia), W.K. Ng (Univ. Sains Malaysia)
- Nutritive Value of Rendered Animal Proteins and Fats for Aquaculture Species & Targeted Uses for these Ingredients in AquaFeeds
This project reviews current information on the nutritive value of animal proteins and fats for aquaculture species and to summarize key findings into a technical document.
Collaborators: K. Hua, E. El-Haroun (University of Cairo, Egypt)
Refereed Journal Publications
- Bureau, D.P., K. Hua and A.M. Harris. 2008. The effect of dietary lipid and long-chain n-3 PUFA levels on growth, energy utilization, carcass quality and immune function of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, 39: 1-21.
- Guderley, H., E. Kraffe, W. Bureau, D.P. Bureau. 2008. Dietary fatty acid composition changes mitochondrial phospholipids and oxidative capacities in rainbow trout red muscle. Journal of Comparative Physiology B (in press, DOI 10.1007/s00360-007-0231-y).
- Palma, J., D.P. Bureau, and J.P. Andrade. 2008. Effects of binder type and binder addition on the growth of juvenile Palaemonetes varians and Palaemon elegans (Crustacea: Palaemonidae). Aquaculture International (in press, DOI 10.1007/s10499-007-9155-5).
- Palma, J., D.P. Bureau, and J.P. Andrade. 2008. Effect of plant protein sources on the growth and feed utilization by Palaemonetes varians and Palaemon elegans (Crustacea: Palaemonidae). Journal of Shellfish Research (in press).
- Chowdhury, M.K., D.P. Bureau, M. L. Bose, and M. Dei. 2007. Relevance of rapid appraisal approach to identify locally available feed ingredients to small-scale Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) aquaculture. Aquaculture Economics and Management, 11: 151-169.
- Dumas, A., J. France and D.P. Bureau. 2007. Evidence of three growth stanzas in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) across life stages and adaptation of the thermal-unit growth coefficient. Aquaculture, 267: 139-146.
- Dumas, A., C.F.M. de Lange, J. France and D. P. Bureau 2007. Quantitative description of body composition and rates of nutrient deposition in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture, 273: 165-181.
- El-Haroun, E.R. and D.P. Bureau. 2007. Comparison of the bioavailability of lysine in blood meals of various origins to that of L-lysine HCL for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture, 262: 402-409.
- Gauquelin, F., G. Cuzon, G. Gaxiola, C. Rosas, L. Arena, D.P. Bureau and J.C. Cochard. 2007. Effect of dietary protein level on growth and energy utilization by Litopenaeus stylirostris under laboratory conditions. Aquaculture, 271: 439-448.
- Gunther, S.J., R.D. Moccia, and D.P. Bureau. 2007. Patterns of growth and nutrient deposition in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush), brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and their hybrid, F1 splake (Salvelinus namaycush X Salvelinus fontinalis) as a function of water temperature. Aquaculture Nutrition, 13: 230-239.
- Guo, J., Y. Wang, and D.P. Bureau. 2007. Inclusion of rendered animal ingredients as fish meal substitutes in practical diets for cuneate drum, Nibea miichthioides (Chu, Lo et Wu). Aquaculture Nutrition, 13: 81-87.
- Raine, J.C., K. Hua, D. P. Bureau, M. M. Vijayan, and J. F. Leatherland. 2007. Influence of ration level and rearing temperature on hepatic GHR1 and 2, and hepatic and intestinal TR? and TR? gene expression in late stages of rainbow trout embryos. Journal of Fish Biology, 71:148-162.
- Wang, Y., L.-J. Kong, K. Li and D. P. Bureau. 2007. Effects of feeding frequency and ration level on growth, feed utilization and nitrogen waste output of cuneate drum (Nibea miichthioides) reared in net pens. Aquaculture, 271: 35-356.
- Tapia-Salazar, M., W. Bureau, S. Panserat, G. Corraze, and D.P. Bureau. 2006. Effect of DHA supplementation on digestible starch utilization by rainbow trout. British Journal of Nutrition 95: 1-12.
- Azevedo, P.A., J. van Milgen, S. Leeson, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Comparing efficiency of metabolizable energy utilization by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) using factorial and multivariate approaches. Journal of Animal Science 83: 842-851.
- Gunther, S.J., R.D. Moccia, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Growth and carcass composition of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush), brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and their hybrid, F1 splake (Salvelinus namaycush X Salvelinus fontinalis), from first–feeding to 4 g live weight. Aquaculture 249: 195-204.
- Hua, K. and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Modelling digestible phosphorus content of salmonid fish feeds. Aquaculture (in press).
- Hua, K., J.P. Cant, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Dynamic simulation of phosphorus utilization in salmonid fish. In: Danfaer, A., J. Dijkstra, J. France, W. Gerrits, E. Kebreab, J. McNamara, & D. Poppi (Eds.) Proceeding Sixth International Workshop on Modelling Nutrient Utilisation in Farm (in press).
- Hua, K., L. Liu, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Determination of phosphorus fractions in animal protein ingredients. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53, 1571-1574.
- López, L, A.L. Torres, E. Durazo, M. Drawbridge, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Effects of lipid on growth and feed utilization of white seabass (Atractoscion nobilis) fingerlings. Aquaculture (in press).
- Ogunkoya, A.E., G.I. Page, M.A. Adewolu, and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Dietary incorporation of soybean meal and exogenous enzyme cocktail can affect physical characteristics of faecal material egested by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture (in press).
- Wang, Y., J. Guo, D.P. Bureau, and Z. Cui. 2005. Replacement of fish meal by rendered animal protein ingredients in feeds for cuneate drum (Nibea miichthioides). Aquaculture (in press).
- Wang, Y., J. Guo, K. Li and D.P. Bureau. 2005. Effects of dietary protein and energy levels on growth, feed utilization and body composition of cuneate drum (Nibea miichthioides). Aquaculture (in press)
- Azevedo, P.A., S. Leeson, C.Y. Cho, and D. P. Bureau. 2004. Growth, nitrogen, and energy utilization by four juvenile salmonid species: Diet, species, and size effects. Aquaculture 234: 393-314.
- Azevedo, P.A., S. Leeson, C.Y. Cho, and D.P. Bureau. 2004. Growth and feed utilization of large size rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) reared in freshwater: diet and species effects, and responses over time. Aquaculture Nutrition 10: 401-411.
- Encarnacao, P.M., C.F.M. de Lange, M. Rodehutscord, D. Hoehler, W. Bureau and D.P. Bureau. 2004. Diet digestible energy content affects lysine utilization, but not dietary lysine requirement of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) for maximum growth. Aquaculture 235: 569-586.
- Bureau, D.P., S. Gunther and C.Y. Cho. 2003. Chemical composition and preliminary theoretical estimates ofwaste outputs of rainbow trout reared on commercial cage culture operations in Ontario. North American Journal of Aquaculture 65: 33-38.
- Philbrick, D.J., D.P. Bureau, F.W. Collins and B.J. Holub. 2003. Evidence that Soyasaponin Bb Retards Disease Progression in a Murine Model of Polycystic Kidney Disease. Kidney International 63: 1230-1239.
- Azevedo, P.A., D.P. Bureau, S. Leeson, C.Y. Cho. 2002. Growth and efficiency of feed usage by Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) fed diets with different dietary protein:energy ratios at two feeding levels. Fisheries Sciences 68: 878-888.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 2001. A review of diet formulation strategies and feeding systems to reduce excretory and feed wastes in aquaculture. Aquaculture Research 32: 349-360.
- Bureau, D.P., A.M. Harris, D.J. Bevan, L.A. Simmons, P.A. Azevedo and C.Y. Cho. 2000. Use of feather meals and meat and bone meals from different origins as protein sources for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) diets. Aquaculture 181: 281-291.
- Bureau, D.P., A.M. Harris and C.Y. Cho. 1999. Apparent digestibility of rendered animal protein ingredients for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 180: 345-358.
- Bureau, D.P. and C.Y. Cho. 1999. Phosphorus utilization by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Estimation of dissolved phosphorus output. Aquaculture 179: 127-140.
- Page, G.I., K.M. Hayworth, R.R. Wade, A.M. Harris and D.P. Bureau. 1999. Non-specific immunity parameters and formation of advanced glycosylation end-products (AGE) in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum), fed high levels of dietary carbohydrates. Aquaculture Research 30: 287-298.
- Simmons, L., R.D. Moccia, D.P. Bureau, J.G. Sivak and K. Herbert. 1999. Dietary methionine requirement of juvenile Arctic charr, Salvenius alpinus L. Aquaculture Nutrition 5: 93-100.
- Azevedo, P.A., C.Y. Cho, S. Leeson and D.P. Bureau. 1998. Effects of feeding level and water temperature on growth, nutrient and energy utilization and waste outputs of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquatic Living Resources 11: 227-238.
- Bureau, D.P., A.M. Harris and C.Y. Cho. 1998. The effects of purified alcohol extracts from soy products on feed intake and growth of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 161: 27-43.
- Bureau, D.P., J.B. Kirkland and C.Y. Cho. 1998. The partitioning of energy from digestible carbohydrate by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). pp.163-166. In: McCracken, K.J., E.F. Unsworth and A.R.G. Wylie (Editors). Energy Metabolism of Farm Animals, CAB International Press, Wallingford, UK.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 1998. Development of bioenergetic models and the Fish-PrFEQ software to estimate production, feeding ration and waste output in aquaculture. Aquatic Living Resources 11: 199-210.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 1997. Reduction of waste output from salmonid aquaculture through feeds and feedings. The Progressive Fish Culturist 59:155-160.
- Bureau, D.P., J. de la Noüe and P. Jaruratjamorn. 1995. The effect of dietary crop residues incorporation on growth, mortality and feed conversion ratio (FCR) of the African catfish, Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822). Aquaculture Research 26: 351-360.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 1995. Determination of the energy requirements of fish with particular reference to salmonids. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 11: 141-163.
Theses/ Books/ Book Chapters
- Bureau, D.P., K. Hua, and P.A. Azevedo. 2007. Efficiency of conversion of feed Inputs into animal biomass: The usefulness of bioenergetics models and need for a transition to nutrient-flow models, pp: xxx-xxx. In: Cyrino, J.E.P., D.P. Bureau, and B.G. Kapoor (Eds.) Feeding and Digestive Function of Fishes. Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA (in press).
- Bureau, D.P. and K. Hua. 2007. Models of nutrient utilization by fish and potential applications for fish culture operations, pp xxx-xxx. In: France J. and E. Kebreab (Eds.) Animal Nutrition Modelling. Centre for Nutrition Modelling, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada (in press).
Scientific Communications (Non-Refereed Publications)
- Bureau, D.P. 2007. Addressing current challenges in aquaculture through advances in nutrition. First Symposium Nicovita - Innovation to Grow, 5-7 December 2007, Cartagena, Colombia.
- Bureau, D.P. Alternatives derived from animal by-products. Sustainable Aquaculture Feed Workshop, 4-5 October 2007, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- Bureau, D.P. and K. Hua. 2007. Assessing the quality of ingredients and feeds: From the research lab to the quality control lab. Autumn Symposium on Nutrition and Feed Technology for Aquaculture, 13 November 2007, Guangzhou, P.R. China.
- Bureau, D.P., P.A. Azevedo, and C.L. Podemski. 2007. Predicting waste outputs from fish culture operations: the Canadian experience. Canada-Chile Science &Technology Workshop, 8-10 October 2007, Santiago, Chile.
- Bureau, D.P., K. Hua, and A. Dumas. 2007. Endogenous and dietary determinants of body composition in salmonid fishes. Canadian Society of Zoologists Annual Meeting, 21-25 May 2007, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Bureau, D.P. 2007. The nutritional and economic benefits of using processed avian and porcine proteins in modern aquaculture diets. European Fat Processor and Renderers Association (EFPRA) Congress 2007, 6-9 June 2007, Marbella, Spain.
- Bureau, D.P. and R.D. Moccia. 2007. Formulation of salmonid fish feeds with high levels of plant ingredients: Effects on waste outputs and potential environmental impacts of fish culture operations. 98th American Oil Chemists' Society (AOCS) Meeting and Expo, 13-16 May 2007, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- Hua, K. and D.P. Bureau. 2007. Approaches to estimate and improve digestibility of phosphorus in fish feeds. Autumn Symposium on Nutrition and Feed Technology for Aquaculture. 13 November 2007, Guangzhou, P.R. China.
- Bureau, D.P. and K. Hua. 2005. Future directions in feed formulation for waste reduction. Proceeding of the Aquaculture Association of Canada Annual Meeting, 16-20 October 2004, Quebec, Canada. (in press).
- Bureau, D.P. and K. Hua. 2005. Mass balance and nutrient flows in freshwater aquaculture. Proceeding of the Aquaculture Association of Canada Annual Meeting, 16-20 October 2004, Quebec, Canada. (in press).
- Bureau, D.P. 2004. Formulating more cost-effective aquaculture feeds. pp. 131-140, In: Yin, Y.L., Y.P. Liao, Z.L. Tan (Eds.). International Symposium on Feed Additive, Animal Nutrition and Health, 16-17 July 2004, Panyu, Guangzhou, P.R. China. 309 pp.
- Bureau, W. and D.P. Bureau, 2004. Insights into the regulation of amino acid catabolism in rainbow trout and Atlantic salmon. pp. 135-141, In: Yin, Y.L., Y.P. Liao, Z.L. Tan (Eds.). International Symposium on Feed Additive, Animal Nutrition and Health, 16-17 July 2004, Panyu, Guangzhou, P.R. China. 309 pp.
- Bureau, D.P., J. Gibson, A. El-Mowafi. 2002. Use of animal fats in aquaculture feeds. In: Cruz-Suarez, L.E., D. Ricque-Marie, M. Tapia-Salazar, and R. Civera-Cerecedo (Eds.) Avances en Nutricion Acuicola V. Memorias del VI Simposium Internacional de Nutricion Acuicola. 3-7 September 2002. Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 2001. Nutrition, energetics and growth of fish: Current challenges and approches. In: Coimbra, J (Ed.) NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Modern Aquaculture in the Coastal Zone-Lessons and Opportunities, 14-17 Sep. 1998, Porto, Portugal NATO Science Series A: Life Sciences, IOS Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Bureau, D.P., P.A. Azevedo, M. Tapia-Salazar and G. Cuzon. 2000. Pattern and cost of growth and nutrient deposition in fish and shrimp: Potential implications and applications. pp. 111-140. In: Cruz-Suarez, L.E., D. Ricque-Marie, M. Tapia-Salazar, M.A. Olvera-Novoa and R. Civera-Cerecedo (Eds.) Avances en Nutricion Acuicola V. Memorias del V Simposium Internacional de Nutricion Acuicola. 19-22 Noviembre, 2000. Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.
- Bureau, D.P. and C.Y. Cho. 1997. Ingredients quality: An essential factor in the formulation of cost-effective diets in aquaculture. pp. 234-274. In: Duerr, E.O., L. Johnson and M. Reagen (Editors). Expanding Agriculture Co-Product Uses in Aquaculture Feeds. Workshop Proceedings. December 5-7, 1994, Des Moines, Iowa.
- Bureau, D.P. 1996. Nutritional value of rendered animal protein ingredients for salmonids in the 90's. Proceedings of the Canadian Feed Industry Association Eastern Nutrition Conference. 15-17 May 1996, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. pp.239- 246.
- Cho, C.Y. and D.P. Bureau. 1996. Bioenergetics in diet formulation and feeding standard for salmonid aquaculture: Principles, methods and applications. In: Cruz-Suarez, L.E., D.M. Ricque and R. Mendoza (Editors). Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Aquatic Nutrition, 11-13 November 1996, Monterrey, Mexico.
Please visit the homepage of my lab: http://fishnutrition/uoguelph.ca