(519) 824-4120 ext. 53347
Lee-Anne Huber was raised on a mixed farm of beef cattle and pigs just north of Guelph, ON. She decided to attend the University of Guelph with the intention of becoming a large animal veterinarian but soon discovered the world of swine nutrition research instead. After her BSc she continued with an MSc and PhD also at the University of Guelph and a post-doctoral fellowship at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Lee-Anne's graduate research examined the dynamics of nutrient retention in entire male pigs after immunocastration and dietary amino acid utilization for milk protein production in lactating sows, respectively. Her post-doctoral research focused on the origins of adult human disease in premature infants using a minipig model. Lee-Anne's research program focuses on improving the sustainability of pork production using nutrition as a tool. Currently, she is examining low-environmental impact swine feed ingredients, identifying means to improve the value of feed ingredients (which includes the nutritional value of course, but also improving pig health, decreasing our reliance on antibiotics etc), and using precision agriculture to better predict and meet the nutrient requirements of lactating and gestating sows using novel mathematical models and feeding technologies. Lee-Anne still enjoys helping on her family's farm (anything from shoveling manure to combining) and spending time with family and friends.
- B.Sc. Animal Biology, University of Guelph (2010)
- M.Sc. in swine nutrition, University of Guelph (2012)
- Ph.D. in swine nutrition and physiology, University of Guelph (2016)
- Huber, L., C. F. M. de Lange, C. Ernst, U. Krogh, and N. L. Trottier. 2016. Impact of improving dietary amino acid balance for lactating sows on efficiency of dietary amino acid utilization and transcript abundance of genes encoding lysine transporters in mammary tissue. J. Anim. Sci. 94:1-12.
- Huber, L., C. F. M. de Lange, U. Krogh, D. Chamberlin, and N. L. Trottier. 2015. Impact of feeding reduced crude protein diets to lactating sows on nitrogen utilization. J. Anim. Sci. 93: 5254-5264.
- Huber, L., E. J. Squires, and C. F. M. de Lange. 2013. Dynamics of nitrogen retention in entire male pigs immunized against gonadotropin-releasing hormone. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4817-4825.