Information Technology and Computing
The information technology group (APSIT) provides faculty, staff, and students with advanced information technology, computing, communication and data analysis expertise in support of research, teaching and extension. This encompasses a wide range of technical disciplines including: systems and database design and development, communications networking, statistical analysis, computer programming, operations research, bioinformatics, mathematical model development and implementation, computer graphics and multi-media, audio visual, web site and web application development.
Current IT and Computing Environment:
- A local network connected to the University backbone and the Internet.
- Departmental servers one of which is the main departmental file server, which provides network authentication, secure home directory space, application delivery, and print queue management.
- High performance, big memory, many core servers used for heavy numerical computation.
- A fully networked IT lab with workstations providing access to a wide variety of teaching and research software both general purpose and specifically related to our department.
- Scanners, film recorders, departmental printing services, presentation devices, and multimedia development tools.
- Video conferencing equipment.
- Purchasing, setup, and installation and maintenance of computers and peripherals.
- A well equipped PC support centre
- Support for all major operating systems(Microsoft, *nix, OS/X)
- Fundamental programming support for PERL, C, FORTRAN, PHP, and Java as well as Microsoft Software development tools.
- Software packages such as SAS, SPSS, Maple, Matlab, MySQL, R, ACSL, and others with a more specific application
- Server management, maintenance and administration
- Custom research and teaching software and systems development
- Consulting on information technology, data processing and statistical/mathematical issues
- Documentation and training
- Help desk support - send email requests and problems to email@example.com