Position/Title: Adjunct Professor
Office: ANNU 110A
Adjunct Professor with the Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock http://cgil.uoguelph.ca/ and Consultant with AbacusBio Ltd. http://abacusbio.com/ .
My main research area is in development of genetic improvement programs for livestock and aquaculture, including fish, turkeys, sheep and cattle.
• Wilton JW, Quinton VM, Quinton CD. 2013. Optimizing Animal Genetic Improvement. Centre for Genetic Improvement of Livestock, Guelph ON. 301p. ISBN 978-09919468-0-8. http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~cquinton/optimizing-book
• Quinton C, Kennedy D, Stachowicz K, Miller S. 2014. Economic breeding objectives for Canadian lamb. Proceedings of 10th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Vancouver BC, Aug 17-22 2014. 003. https://asas.org/docs/default-source/wcgalp-proceedings-oral/003_paper_8767_manuscript_240_0.pdf
• Chiasson MA, Quinton CD, Danzmann RG, Ferguson MM. 2013. Comparative analysis of genetic parameters and quantitative trait loci for growth traits in Fraser strain Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) reared in freshwater and brackish water environments. Journal of Animal Science 91:2047-2056. http://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5656
• Quinton CD, Wood BJ, Miller SP. 2011. Genetic analysis of survival and fitness in turkeys with multiple-trait animal models. Poultry Science 90:2479-2486. http://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2011-01604
• Kause A, Quinton C, Airaksinen S, Ruohonen K, Koskela J. 2011. Quality and production trait genetics of farmed European whitefish Coregonus lavaretus. Journal of Animal Science 89:959-971. http://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-2981
• Quinton CD, Wood BJ, Miller SP. 2010. Genetic parameters for survival and leg strength in the turkey. Proceedings of the 9th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Leipzig, Germany, August 1-6 2010, CD-ROM communication no. 0484.
• Kause A, Quinton CD, Ruohonen K, Koskela J. 2009. Genetic potential for the regulation of variability in body lipid and protein content of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). British Journal of Nutrition 101:1444-1451. http://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508091265 • Vehviläinen H, Kause A, Quinton C, Koskinen H, Paananen T. 2008. Survival of the currently fittest: Genetics of rainbow trout survival across time and space. Genetics 180:507-516. http://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.108.089896
• Quinton CD, Kause A, Ruohonen K, Koskela J. 2007. Genetic relationships of feed utilization and body composition traits in European whitefish and implications for selective breeding in fishmeal- and soybean meal-based diets. Journal of Animal Science 85:3198-3208. http://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-792
• Quinton CD, Kause A, Koskela J, Ritola O. 2007. Breeding salmonids for feed efficiency in current fishmeal and future plant-based diet environments. Genetics Selection Evolution 39:431-446. http://doi.org/10.1051/gse:2007013
• Quinton CD, Kause A, Koskela J. 2006. Impact of a novel plant-protein based diet on a European whitefish breeding program: genetic analysis of feed utilisation traits. Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, August 13-18 2006, CD-ROM communication no. 09-10. http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20063169776.html
• Quinton CD. 2005. Genetic improvement of Atlantic salmon for New Brunswick aquaculture. PhD Thesis, University of Guelph. http://search.proquest.com/docview/305000526/abstract http://www.researchgate.net/publication/200098115_Genetic_improvement_of_Atlantic_salmon_for_New_Brunswick_aquaculture/file/00c3e21483c361eb171343880fc15f8a.pdf
• Quinton CD, McMillan I, Glebe B. 2005. Development of an Atlantic salmon genetic improvement program: Genetic parameters of harvest body weight and carcass quality traits estimated with animal models. Proceedings of Genetics in Aquaculture VIII, Puerto Varas, Chile, November 9-15 2003. Aquaculture 247:211-217. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.02.030
• Quinton CD, McKay LR, McMillan I. 2004. Strain and maturation effects on female spawning time in diallel crosses of three strains of rainbow trout. Aquaculture 234:99-110. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2004.01.016
• Quinton CD, Moghadasi SM, McKay LR, McMillan, I. 2002. Genetic parameters of body weight, female spawning date, and age at sexual maturation in rainbow trout. Proceedings of the 7th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Montpellier, France, August 19-23 2002, CD-ROM communication no. 06-02. http://cgil.uoguelph.ca/pub/7WCGALP/Quinton.pdf
• Quinton CD, McKay LR, McMillan I, 2002. Genetic parameters and selection methods to improve two-year weight and spawning time in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Proceedings of Aquaculture Canada 2001, Halifax, Canada, May 6-9 2001. Aquaculture Association of Canada Special Publication 5:10-12.
• Quinton CD. 2001. Growth rate and spawning time in diallel crosses of three strains of rainbow trout. MSc Thesis, University of Guelph. http://search.proquest.com/docview/304698049/abstract http://www.collectionscanada.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk3/ftp04/MQ58370.pdf